DMCA Takedown notice For An Article

Discuss the whys and wherefors of article writing and publishing. NO ADS!

Moderators: magnetize, Oosha, ftello, shezz

DMCA Takedown notice For An Article

Postby James » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:16 pm

Well, this is new to me. I've been warned that my host and Godaddy will receive DMCA Takedown notice if I don't remove an article from my site. I found the article on Ezinearticles.com and rewrote it. I'm not even sure how this guy found it since copyscape.com didn't :-?

It would be easy to delete the article and solve the problem. And I'll probably do just that. But I'm curious, have any of you received similar treats? What's your experience? And is there a real chance that hosting company and Domain registrar would really act?
James

Re: DMCA Takedown notice For An Article

Postby dgodot » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:26 pm

That's weird. Did you ask the guy why he thought the article infringed his copyright?
dgodot

Postby James » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:38 pm

Actually I haven't replied to him at all. He started with a DMCA threat so I didn't want to talk to him. If one reads both articles, he will realize they are the same, only written in a different manner. He wants me to leave a link to his site or delete the article because that's what Ezinearticles TOS says. The articles won't be seen as duplicates, but I don't think he cares about that at all.
James

Postby TrentBrownrigg » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:14 pm

If you rewrote it to be completely unique then I doubt there's much he can do about it. But if I were you I would just take it down or rewrite it even more so there's little resemblance. Your host will shut you down, I've heard of it happening before. Plus it's just not worth the trouble over one article.
TrentBrownrigg

Postby James » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:32 pm

Yup, the article is completely unique. What I wanted to know is there a chance that even with these circumstances host can take me down. If it happened before, then it's quite clear what needs to be done - delete the entire article.

I checked his Ezinearticle account - he has 2 articles only. I guess he spends a lot of his time browsing the web for the copies when he's calling for a DMCA with a rewritten article :-?
James

Postby bgmacaw » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:59 pm

I agree, it's not worth the hassle for one article. Just rewrite it using a different reference, preferably one that's public domain.
bgmacaw

Postby James » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:47 pm

Weirdest thing happened. I went and scheduled that article a month from now, thinking how I will rewrite it later. I just deleted 4 subtitles and changed the title a bit, leaving everything else untouched. 15 minutes later I get an email from the guy saying: "Thanks." LOL WTF?! I went to Statcounter and realized he went directly to the post URL (he probably bookmarked it) 7 minutes after I rescheduled it to be posted at December. He saw the article, visited main page and few other posts and left. Heh, this guy made my day a whole lot more interesting :-D
James

Return to Article Writing