Hello From Me!

New members, please introduce yourselves here first before you post elsewhere. Let us know who you are and a bit about yourself. NO ADS!

Moderators: magnetize, Oosha, ftello, shezz

Hello From Me!

Postby Tel » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:48 am

As I'm the first one here (by definition) I'll start the ball rolling by introducing myself. My Name is Terry and I'm an Englishman who moved to Spain five years ago, liked it and stayed. I live here on the southern coast (Costa Del Sol) with my partner Janice, whom I met here in Spain 3 years ago.

I started my love-hate relationshup with computers back in 1977 when I went to work for a bank in their data processing depatment (it was called DP before it became known as IT). That was a room the size of a warehouse full of big blue boxes the size of trailers made by IBM - the king of computers in that early era. Collectively, they probably had less processing power than a handful of modern networked PCs, although they ran the entire bank's financial and development systems. I graduated from computer operator to ops analyst, eventually to systems analyst/programmer working on the now defunct Tandem Nonstop systems.

Although small personal computers had been around since the early Spectrums, Commadores etc, at the end of the 1970s, PCs in their more recognisable format started to appear around the mid 1980s but didn't start to gain popularity until the early 1990s. My first true PC was an IBM 30286 with a 10mb hard drive and a whopping 2mb of ram! It was the ferrari of PCs in its day and ran DOS with some basic word processor and a couple of other things. Windows came along and changed things somewhat, the internet was in its infancy... and the rest, so they say, is history!

So I have been active online on and off since the early 1990's, when I set up my own hypnotherapy website to compliment my professional practice. Back then, I had no idea about advertising or monetising my website - it was purely an informational site with contact details for people who wanted the benefit of my knowledge and experience and to book up a consultation at my practice (if they lived within a reasonable distance).

A lot of the content from that original site (now fallen by the wayside) has been incorporated into my newer niche site that I created toward the end of 2006. So in marketing terms, I've only been active for a relatively short period of time.

I created The Honest Way and with it this forum after reading a respected colleague's recently released product called My Secret Articles. There is such an abundance of information in its 50 volumes that it spurred me on to setting up and promoting this site - something that I don't think I would have had the knowledge or confidence to do otherwise.

I have already made sales and gathered referral sign ups to some of the programs to which I belong from the site which is still in its infancy. Such is the power of information. If you came to this forum through the homepage of The Honest Way, then you will have already seen the promotion for My Secret Articles and I will not need to promote it here.

So here is where I am at the moment. That's about it from me, so now it's over to you... :D
Tel
Site Admin

Postby captkirk » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:45 pm

Hi Terry,

Congrats on your new forum.

I wish you the very best on your journey to success.

Again, Congrats! :D

Unitl Next Time, Stay Upbeat and Positive! 8)

P.S. Lets Have Some Fun On Our Journey To Success! :lol:
captkirk

Postby Dougi » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:47 pm

Hola Terry

so you moved to the sunny side :)

I'm from Germany but have a second home
in Spain (Baleares) and I've been in Málaga several
times last year for a JV.

Congrats to your forum
communication is always a good road :)

All the best

Dougi
Dougi

Postby Tel » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:53 pm

Hola Dougi,

It's good to see you here. I know it's the lure of the sunshine that makes us leave our own cold countries and head south, but there is so much more to Spain that I love. You would know too, having a place on the islands. Which one, by the way?
Tel
Site Admin

Postby abohart » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:54 pm

Wow, Terry, your career history sounds almost exactly like my own. I started out in the data center as an operator on an IBM 3080 mainframe (even programmed on punch cards), first PC was a 286, then onto programming/systems analysis, and now I'm an IT Manager for a small firm in Northern California!

- Allen
abohart

Postby Tel » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:51 pm

We must be roughly the same age then.

I never went on to management as I got fed up with the whole thing by 1994 and left the industry, only to come back to it a couple years ago for a short spell as an all-round IT guy in a small office here in Spain.

That's where I learned Linux and a lot about hosting, small networks, website building, some php and mysql etc. It was enough for me to start out on my own and this is what I do now!
Tel
Site Admin

Howdy

Postby dgodot » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:25 pm

Hey there Terry, and everybody else. It's a pleasure to meet you.

I got into programming as a youngster and started working just in time for the big web boom (and bust.) I worked as a web programmer for about 7 years and got into a bunch of SEO and promotion towards the end of that.

Internet work turned out to be a much nicer hobby for me than it was a job, and I couldn't find much work anyway for a long time, so I got back into school and finished associate's and bachelor's degrees in psychology, and am now a doctoral student working toward becoming a clinical psychologist.

I'm finding it fun and relaxing to make and promote niche web sites lately, so have been doing that in my free time, and am also writing psychology and self-improvement articles over on my main blog, Way To Go, Godot!. I'm a long-term kind of guy, and so I see my psych blogging activities as a way of building up authority in order to pre-market the group practice I intend to open up after I get my license.

My other niche blogs are designed to do just one simple thing: make money. So I'm experimenting with various ways of doing that in order that, if all goes well, by the time my student loans go into repayment I'll be able to actually make the payments :)

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. I'm looking forward to interacting with some good folks who are also into making money online.

Best wishes,
dgodot

Postby Tel » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:56 pm

Hi David, its nice to be able to do this as much for fun as to make money at it. We've all been busy beavering away at it from all directions and not getting very far ery fast!

I think Griz puts the whole money making online thing into perspective perfectly with his no nonsense approach and I personally find his way logical and sensible.

Glad to have you aboard for the ride! 8)
Tel
Site Admin

Postby Oosha » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:08 pm

Hey guys!

I've been away for a while but I'm back. Just wanted to say a HUGE hello to all the new members.

Have fun!
Oosha

Re: Hello From Me!

Postby Coaster » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:30 pm

Hi , Terry
Gee I thought all the Poms move to the Gold Coast in Australia, for the sunshine :)
Thats where I live and I notice it's full of English and New Zealanders - good on 'em , it's a great place to live.
Laying on the beach in Queensland
Coaster

Postby Grizzly » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:48 am

Note to all you Ozzy's - speak English! :mrgreen:

What the heck is a POM? (sounds like a good slam though)

Why is it that Canadians are the only people who speak English without an accent... :roll:

That should stir the pot... :twisted:
Grizzly
Site Admin

Postby Tel » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:25 am

Ha! The only person who is supposed to speak without an accent is the Queen.

The rest of us all have accents - in fact you'll probably hear more different and very distinct accents in the UK itself than anywhere else in the world - anyone who has visited from another country must get the shock of their lives at the reality - most Americans (who have never visted) imagine the English all talk like either Simon Cowell or Danny Kay (in Mary Poppins ughhh)!!!

A POM, or pommy is a slang term for a Brit - that's the nice way of saying it. It is actually derived from the acronym POME (Prisoner of Mother England) which referred to the British convicts that were transported to Australia in the late 18th and 19th centuries - the irony is that these convicts were the ancestors of most modern Australians!

Want some controversy? These days the young whippersnappers don't know they're born... Ha!

When I grew up in Sydney in the late 60s, the English were not popular (another nice way to say it) due to their whinging, whining nature - thousands of families migrated to Oz in the 60s on a cheap ticket, then expected to be given everything when they arrived and were called whinging pommy bastards (not so nice) because of it. In Australia in those days you worked or you did not eat. Simple. It was not so hard as people think as there were plenty of jobs, but the reality was the Brits were not used to working so hard and complained. The Aussies understandably resented this, so as kids we all got called plenty of names and pushed around just for being English. I got an early taste of racism, so I know how it feels. I've always believe you should do unto others... so when I retirned to England in the 70s and went to a mixed race school in North London I never joined in the name calling and racial differences that were common. I had a lot of friends both black and white.

In Oz, my old man worked his arse off driving a truck in the day and a taxi at night and never complained once. Needless to say, he got on well with his co-workers because he had the right attitude. My brothers, sister and I all grew up with a similar attitude - we had a good role model, so you can imagine I don't tolerate lazy, whinging people very well!

In those days name calling was the norm so no one really got too upset - hell every country had derogatory terms for foreigners - you should've heard what they called Italians!!! The Brits were just as bad if not worse - any politically correct people that might read this would throw their hands up in horror and probably throw up on the spot at the way we used to refer to people of other countries, cultures even other regions of our own country! It was the norm and accepted. The only people that ever got upset were the forerunners of the politically correct today.

When a black man called a white man a "honkey" no one got upset, most even laughed at it. Hell, in the 70s there was even a highly popular comedy TV program called "Love Thy Neighbour" where a black family and a white family lived next door to each other in Yorkshire and the two men would constantly insult each other, but the two women got on like a house on fire and always ended up victorious over their bigoted husbands.

As I grew up as the victim of racial abuse, I don't like to hear it, but I'm worldly enough to know that words are just words which must be accepted if freedom of speech is to have any meaning - actions are something else.

The politically correct in the UK are systematically stamping out any form of "words" they think might upset someone else. You can't even tell an Irish joke anymore - unless you're Irish (how mad is that!). Our freedom of speech has been carefully and sytematically eroded over the last two decades by these assholes to a point where it has been lost. Of course there are plenty of PC poeple that will not agree with me, but most of them have not lived through what I have and seen what I have seen, so what do they know?

There is a saying by Dr Oliver that I'll hold onto until the day I die: "I do not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

That is freedom of speech. Anything else is "control".

Now I'll get down off my soapbox and get on with some damn work. :twisted:
Tel
Site Admin

Postby Grizzly » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:40 pm

well... so much for some good natured trash talk! :mrgreen:
Grizzly
Site Admin

Postby Tel » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:56 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Coño, that wasted an hour of my morning as well! I'm a terrible rambler once I get going and this chaotic mind of mine knows no limits to going off on tangents!

It started off so innocently as well, something about Canadians and accents... :roll:
Tel
Site Admin

Postby tam2005 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:19 pm

Hey Terry,

It's been a long, long time since I've been over here. :oops: What can I say? I've been busy...plus I went on a vacation recently. The new forum looks great! :-D

Welcome to all the new members. :mrgreen:
tam2005

Postby Tel » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:01 pm

Thanks Tammy, I was sort of forced into upgrading the forum so I could move it across to its new server! But it does look nicer :-D

I've missed you in here, but know how you feel. I've been more busy than I ever have lately. Where does all the time go?
Tel
Site Admin

Postby tam2005 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:15 pm

Where does all the time go?

It sure does fly by doesn't it?! ;-)

My son got married on August 2nd and I'm still recovering from that! lol
Been busy, busy! :mrgreen:
tam2005

Postby Kristine23 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:37 pm

Thank Terry :-)

Pleasure to become a member...

Kristine
Kristine23

Postby Phillip » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:54 pm

Grizzly wrote:Why is it that Canadians are the only people who speak English without an accent... :roll:

Without an accent lol? Try saying "out" or "about" :lol:
Phillip

Return to NEW MEMBERS Introduce Yourself Here First