"Page Not Found" In Wordpress Dashboard

Discuss anything to do with domains (buying, selling, pre-owned etc) and hosting (resellers, shared, dedicated which is best etc)

Moderators: magnetize, Oosha, ftello, shezz

"Page Not Found" In Wordpress Dashboard

Postby Phillip » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:48 pm

I recently was playing around with the new Site Network function in Wordpress 3. For those who don't know what it is, it's basically the integrated WPMU in the new WP3 where you can run multiple wordpress sites off one installation. I am planning to use it to build a big website - it will definitely help make it easy to silo the posts.

Well as it turns out I f***ed up while I was fiddling around, and I had to revert from a backup. Now when I try to save some setting that I change in the dashboard, I get a "page not found" message. Any clues why this could be happening?
Phillip

Re: "Page Not Found" In Wordpress Dashboard

Postby daddyO » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:34 pm

That happens to my posts sometimes, if I use permalinks and end up overwritting my .htaccess file.
daddyO

Postby Phillip » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:09 am

How to fix it, that is the question...
Phillip

Postby Phillip » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:17 pm

I managed to find a solution. I had to contact the host and ask them to mod_security whitelist the domain. Feel free to move this thread to a correct section on the forum Terry - I started it here as I find myself ignoring the other parts, and I think others are as well.
Phillip

Postby Tel » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:25 pm

Will do - and yes, its funny lots of people look only in here and not elsewhere!

Glad you found the solution. Which host are you using?

I find I never seem to get WP problems with HG but with other hosts, problems often crop up. One of the worst so far is 2GB hosting - I have their SEO reseller package at $9.99 a month. It looked cheap at first with 5 dedicated c class IPs, but their WHM is real slow, and when I put up 2 WP sites I've had nothing but trouble with them - security issues, not being able to upgrade WP or plugins etc. In a word, they're crap!

I'll be dropping them as soon as I get around to moving to VPS.
Tel
Site Admin

Postby Phillip » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:37 pm

The problem was with Hostnine on their uscentral7 - I have had a number of problems with that server, as it is frequently under DDOS, and each time they for some reason ban my IP address (probably because it's foreign). Each time I have to contact the support to have them remove the ban. I am hoping to be able to move the site to a dedi soon - a cheap(ish) managed dedi would fit it a lot better as I plan to expand the site quite a bit in the future. It's currently getting +400 uniques a day, and I read somewhere that you should consider a dedi at about 2000 uniques a day. It's running wordpress though, so it's eating up more resources than your average website.

Yeah I noticed some hilarious problems with 2gb hosting as well. Running wordpress and posting posts with text and nothing more seems to work without problems though :) If you need to upload something, it has to be done via ftp etc. I think it might be possible to set it up correctly. but that wouldn't really speed it up - for sites about cows and sheep, the speed is enough imo.
Phillip

Return to Domains & Hosting