Alternative to Hostgator?

Discuss anything to do with domains (buying, selling, pre-owned etc) and hosting (resellers, shared, dedicated which is best etc)

Moderators: magnetize, Oosha, ftello, shezz

Alternative to Hostgator?

Postby TrentBrownrigg » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:55 pm

I love hostgator but I already have two accounts with them so I am looking for another host to spread my sites around a bit. I do have another host but it's much more expensive than HG and not as easy to work with so I don't want to use them either. I'd like to find one that compares with HG in price, unlimited domains, and pretty much everything else. Is there one out there?
* No links here... Search my name if you want to find me!
TrentBrownrigg

Re: Alternative to Hostgator?

Postby aprilk » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:35 pm

I've started using MidPhase and have found them to be very good. Also, if you compare the actual packages they offer, they are really huge compared to HG.
April
aprilk

Postby Phillip » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:59 pm

If additional IP's is the only reason to spread I will have to suggest seohosting.com. If not then check out something like fatcow, hostnine and if you want to go really cheap then apthost and byethost.

Avoid dreamhost at all times

and if you want reseller then forget fatcow. Midphase actually looks quite good. Hostnine has the "unlimited" package for reseller hosting also.
Phillip

Postby DavidO » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:48 am

People in the TKA forums were/are having issues with downtime with hostnine. FWIW...

For SEO hosting I have an account at seo-host.com. It's cheap and (so far) reliable and decent speed.
DavidO

Postby James » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:13 am

I suggest DreamHost. I have 5 years of fantastic experience with them.
James

Postby Phillip » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:30 am

James wrote:I suggest DreamHost. I have 5 years of fantastic experience with them.

http://www.cubiclecage.com/dreamhost-re ... dreamhost/

read that one plz :)

Ofcourse I can't argue with your personal experiences with that company. But reading that is enough for me to keep away :)
Phillip

Postby bgmacaw » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:03 am

DavidO wrote:People in the TKA forums were/are having issues with downtime with hostnine. FWIW...

I have around 300 domains hosted with them and I haven't had any significant problems with downtime.
bgmacaw

Postby Phillip » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:46 am

DavidO wrote:People in the TKA forums were/are having issues with downtime with hostnine.

Are they using shared or reseller?
Phillip

Postby TrentBrownrigg » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:12 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will check them out and make a decision.
* No links here... Search my name if you want to find me!
TrentBrownrigg

Postby DavidO » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:38 pm

Phillip wrote:
DavidO wrote:People in the TKA forums were/are having issues with downtime with hostnine.

Are they using shared or reseller?

99% of them are using shared hosting.
DavidO

Postby bgmacaw » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:51 pm

I'm using reseller at HostNine. Maybe that's the difference.
bgmacaw

Postby Scooter » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:15 pm

What about GoDaddy?
My one site there is only $4.99 a month. It has a 5-page limit for the $4.99, so if you don't need a lot of pages it's not too bad...
Scooter

Postby lissie » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:54 am

Scooter wrote:What about GoDaddy?
My one site there is only $4.99 a month. It has a 5-page limit for the $4.99, so if you don't need a lot of pages it's not too bad...

Thats not cheap scooter - I have bought several "hatchling" hostgator accounts - single domain - but if you buy one a week you get a diff IP every time. With the normal discounts it works out $66 for the year. I've also heard the godaddy hosting isn't standard - some scripts won't run there and sometimes they will take a site down because they don't like it.

Also most of domains are registered at godaddy and I never register and host at the same place!
Lis
Passive Income and Controversy!
lissie

Postby Phillip » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:49 am

Scooter wrote:What about GoDaddy?

That is far from cheap - you can get much cheaper "unlimited" accounts from apthost, 2gbhost, byethost etc... Do a little digging for budget hosting and you know what I mean. The thing is that you pay for what you get, even so I had a godaddy account for a month at some point. I hated their setup and especially the lack of cPanel - their "whatever" system is really shitty for our purposes.
Phillip

Return to Domains & Hosting