Are Sub-domains Feasible?

Discuss anything to do with domains (buying, selling, pre-owned etc) and hosting (resellers, shared, dedicated which is best etc)

Moderators: magnetize, Oosha, ftello, shezz

Are Sub-domains Feasible?

Postby Scooter » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:50 am

Greetings all!

I have a WP site that is actually doing very well in the SERPS considering its very early stages of development.
My hosting plan [HostGator] offers unlimited sub-domains and I was wondering if having sub-domains are a feasible application?
I have never used a sub-domain, and do not even understand the concept behind them or how they work :-?
I'm humbly accepting opinions, suggestions, and even an explanation as to how to utilize this application if anyone cares to share their experiences.

Thanks for all your feedback and support

~Scooter
Scooter

Re: Are Sub-domains Feasible?

Postby Phillip » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:42 am

Subdomains means getting something like xxxx.yourdomain.com but they don't seem to benefit from the reputation of the domain and neither pass on their juice to the domain. Rather than subdomains it is a good idea to use subcategories. If you want to make another blog on the same domain subcategories would work better - yourdomain.com/xxxx when it comes to serps.
Phillip

Postby Tel » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:58 pm

Subdomains are what most of our WPmu sites are based on. Each blog is a subdomain or the host.

While using subdomains is a cheap way of putting up new sites, and wile the search engines do treat them as independent entities, Phillip is right that they don't pass any juice to the main host, nor do they take authority from it.

Google has frowned upon the use of many subdomains from a single host as this used to be a spammer's tactic. However, one or a few subdomains are not a bad thing. If you have a domain that can be expanded by creating a subdomain, it can work. For example my own offering is:

makemoney.thehonestway.com

Its a complete website in its own right and when I first created it, it did rather well. I neglected it after the Google slap in 2007 for writing for PayPerPost. Yeah, lots of us did it - it was easy money - we didn't know what the consequences would be. Permanent loss of PR and serps penalty in most cases!

But you can build a subdomain site just the same as any domain with links and content. But for the low price of a .com domain from freshdrop, is it worth the effort?

I prefer to build sites on domains as they become marketable real estate that can be sold if necessary for a decent profit, whereas you can't sell a subdomain.
Tel
Site Admin

Postby Scooter » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:48 am

@ Phillip and Terry:
Thanks for the info.
From what you state, sub-domains essentially are redundant to a new post or subtopic... Further, ANYTHING that was or is considered by G to be associated with spam is the last resource I wish to experiment with!

Thanks again.
Scooter

Return to Domains & Hosting