Do you get free privacy with mass transfers at Godaddy?

Discuss anything to do with domains (buying, selling, pre-owned etc) and hosting (resellers, shared, dedicated which is best etc)

Moderators: magnetize, Oosha, ftello, shezz

Do you get free privacy with mass transfers at Godaddy?

Postby Phillip » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:56 pm

I purchased a bunch of domains at netfirms about ten months ago, and it will be time to renew them soon BUT.... Netfirms doesn't have the option to mass renew my domains. This means that I will have to go through all the 50+ domains one by one, pay it with my credit card and get a receipt for each one of them. I contact their support, and they replied "Unfortunately our system can't renew multiple domains at once"... So I asked them "Do you mean that a) your system will be able to renew multiple domains really soon or b) I will have to move all my domains somewhere where this is possible".... They did not reply :)

The reason why I want to do it en mass, is that renewing almost 100 domains is expensive - but also when I do it 1 by 1 it will sky rocket my book keeping costs. I outsource my business book keeping, and for each document the price goes up -> adding a 100 domain renewals would quadruple my expenses... But..

Netfirms has free privacy, and it would also double the price for the domain if I had to get privacy separately for them from Godaddy.

Another question is - do you know any reliable/big/good domain registrar that has free privacy with domain transfers?
Phillip

Re: Do you get free privacy with mass transfers at Godaddy?

Postby korprit » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:47 pm

i dont know about transfers or renewals as i only started buying domains en masse recently, but if you buy 6 or more domains at one time then privacy is free for a year...i'm hoping renewal is as the same but i don't know

mike iser recommended namecheap i believe and they had free privacy included, and when you have a TON of domains they give you private coupons for further savings...but i hear transferring is NOT fun with them..
korprit

Postby Jimmy » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:24 pm

You might want to check out http://www.internetbs.net/ (not aff link). They have free privacy and are cheap (although I have to say that their name doesn't really inspire confidence), plus its one single bill for the accountant. Someone on Vics TAA forum mentioned it and I transferred over about a month ago from GoDaddy to try and save money on 50 renewals. The hardest part about the actual transfer was getting GoDaddy to give the info I needed to make them let go. InternetBs picked them up without a hitch.

Its been a short amount of time so I can't vouch for reliability, and I don't know what headache I'll get with them when I have to renew next year, but at least it gives you another option to look at.

*side note* - I am sort of a perpetual lurker on forums because I'm pretty sure most here have more knowledge/success at this stuff than I do. Just wanted to say that I appreciate the conversations/tips here, and hopefully this can be a small contribution from me finally. Thanks. :-D
Jimmy

Postby Phillip » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:38 pm

Damn it! Namecheap has a serious offer that ends today, but I don't have the cash right now to renew all my domains! They are offering transferred domains at $4,99 / year http://www.namecheap.com/sep10promo/tra ... r-4.99.asp
Phillip

Postby BenK » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:49 am

Yes, you get free privacy when you transfer domains to godaddy (i think more than 6+ and it's free for all)

Netfirms has an autorenew option that renews your domains like 1 month before they expire. I believe you need to have a working paypal attached and you need to have that option set under the domain renewal interface.

However, it's like around 13 bucks after tax. No coupons or any breaks. So..don't reknew. Don't even get new domains with them. I used to use them, but there are a LOT of cheaper domain registrars out there that have a better interface for multiple domains.

If you have more than 60 days left (you can't transfer them if you don't), go to godaddy transfer domain area and buy them to transfer. It's like 7.50 or something a domain...a bit less than HALF of what netfirms will charge you to renew (and when you need to renew with godaddy, there are shitload of coupons to bring down the cost new 7.50 again). You'll have to go through each domain in netfirms, one by one, remove privacy and unlock the domain before you can complete the transfer. All in all, it will take a couple hours. But you can get them all transferred over in the same day -- in a couple hours actually.

To bad about the namecheap deal.
Make Money Online with SEO

Recommended Backlink Networks/programs: [Connect Content] [AMA] [UAW] [Bookmarking Demon]
BenK

Postby Phillip » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:27 am

Thanks for the insight Ben about the godaddy mass transfers. Hostgator is about to start their own domain registrar, with prices cheaper than GoDaddy. They are reliable, but as always you should not have your domains with the same company as you have your hosting - to avoid bullshit should you change your hosting. Even so if they come with cheap registration I might consider it, as I really do trust Hostgator, and will most likely have my hosting there anyways :P
Phillip

Return to Domains & Hosting