BANS is for sale...

General online business related discussions go here. NO ADS!

Moderators: magnetize, Oosha, ftello, shezz

BANS is for sale...

Postby Brawnydt » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:43 pm

If any of ya have 200k-500k to drop on it, then you might want to scoop this up:

http://flippa.com/auctions/76177/BANS-N1WAY-Plus-Big-Bag-Of-Goodies-In-Niche-Site-Building-Market
Brawnydt

Re: BANS is for sale...

Postby korprit » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:26 pm

wow...w...t....f

have to say it's a great inside look at a business model/product most of us are very familiar with. i thought they'd be making more than that, but it's clearly not chump change. i didn't see a reason for selling...but i do think this means the death of BANS.
korprit

Postby bgmacaw » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:34 pm

It's damaged goods now. BANS had its heyday about 2 years ago before Vic ruined it. With Google deindexing the script on sight and continuing to watch any developments in this area like a hawk plus the recent EPN changes, it makes the whole business model outdated and difficult to resurrect. 200K is certainly too much for it, perhaps even 20K is too much for it.

It does make me wonder though, could I sell Blog Content Wizard for $50K-100K?
bgmacaw

Postby Tel » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:56 pm

I bet you probably could make that, especially as "The Dastardly Evil Dark Hatter" has not managed to do it any damage :lol:
Tel
Site Admin

Postby BenK » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:17 pm

Man, if I had some sort of Niche software developed, I would be crapping my pants if vic picked it up and ran with it -- instant google death for sure! I'm surprised ND lasted as long as it did actually.

I'm surprised at how little BAN's actually made. I mean it's not small time change, but it's not spectacularly good either.

Ben
Make Money Online with SEO

Recommended Backlink Networks/programs: [Connect Content] [AMA] [UAW] [Bookmarking Demon]
BenK

Postby DavidO » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:40 pm

I'll take two!
DavidO

Postby DavidO » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:14 pm

DavidO

Postby korprit » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:14 pm

it's surprising how these commonly referred to sites aren't pulling nearly as much as i had imagined. seems there are plenty of adsense gurus and users of this forum, reaching similar numbers, or within spitting distance of it. and they don't have to run the business side at all.
korprit

Postby bgmacaw » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:16 pm

"This listing ended without a winner." even with them cutting the price down to a 'mere' $100K.
bgmacaw

Postby lissie » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:07 pm

I just got this from their mailing list
Hi everyone,
Our heads have been spinning this week so we're just going to say this as we feel it.
Lat night a small UK based software development team who we've used before made contact with us with a revenue sharing plan for the complete re-development of Build A Niche Store.
We had a good chat with them and have spent most of last night and today talking all this through.
At the end of the day we're all in the same boat - we're all trying to use the internet to build some kind of a future for ourselves.
This is the game we're playing and as we all know - it's not easy.
The trouble we've had with BANS is that we didn't plan to build the business it became - consequently we ended up behind rather in front of our own project and ended up suffering from all the problems and conflicts that causes.
It's why in N1WAY we put so much focus on planning and order - it's the backbone of everything you do online and we've had to learn that the hard way.
By the time we moved up to North Wales last summer we had over 500 domains and a couple of hundred live sites or projects. We'd completely over-reached ourselves and had to get back to basics.
This whole last year has been a huge sorting out process for us - our lives as well as our internet businesses because once you're doing this full time the two get completely inter-twined with one another and in reality we'd completely lost our bearings and structure.
In putting together N1WAY we tried to pass some of that re-ordering over to you
We've really cleaned house this past 12 months and have stripped back and streamlined what we're working on, how we're working on it and where we're taking it. Our other projects are now under control and incorporated into our work routines and BANS and everything that relates to it is the last thing we've come back round to.
In truth - by mid 08 with eBay actively ruining their affiliate program and business and the nature of how BANS, the forum and everything relating to it had evolved from it's early days we'd simply had enough of BANS and the make money online / internet marketing in general.
It might not seem this way but we hate marketing - we hate having to try to convince someone to buy. It's not who we are and it's not how we talk - in reality.
The make money online market is the "marketers" market and we've had more than a difficult time trying to adapt and grow a business in it.
It's why we like building sites so much - it completely removes you one step from the selling process. You publish good content specific to a market segment - you build power in that market and search market - and you monetize that power by sending them to people or companies that are trying to sell something - CPC, CPM or a cut of the revenue - the model is the same.
You get to focus on development which is why we've always considered ourselves internet developers rather than internet marketers.
This discontent and dis-alignment has obviously been reflected in our relationship to this project and you as it's users - and vice versa.
As you've no doubt felt yourselves with the eBay palava in particular - it's one thing after another. This becomes draining which kills motivation which results in stagnation and which ends up affecting other aspects of your life.
On the flip side - the niche site model taken in its entirety is without a doubt the most accessible and simplistic way to build a salary and business from the internet and will continue to be for the next 3 to 5 years. As we've said many times it's why we are where we are.
By putting the projects up for sale this past week and then dropping the price and then speaking to the software developers we've gone full circle on the last 5 years and are finding ourselves reluctant to let go of something that's been so significant in getting us where we are and something which with clearer minds than we had the year prior we can still contribute a lot to.
We said it at the beginning of Step 9 in N1WAY - the way you relate to everything is everything - and the enthusiasm and capacity of the software development team has given us a new way of relating to niche site building and what's possible in it in general.
The last thing we wanted was a scallywag ClickBank marketer snapping it up at $100,000 draining the project for short term cash and basically killing all the work we've put into it.
With an eye on the future the reality is that BANS is severely outdated - not today as we and Mark Hansen have illustrated but over a 3 to 5 year timescale.
We know this and we also know from our own involvement with niche sites over the past 5 years and from the comments of successful site builders inside BANS what an "ideal" niche site builder does and doesn't need.
Sticking to BANS it's been pretty obvious to anyone who has been looking that we've messed up certain parts of this business - the way we structured support and the lack of a well thought out update policy being the most obvious.
These have been critical errors on our part and they really link back in to how the project started and how it evolved.
To make a truly long term viable site builder we need to start from scratch - and this is what the software team is offering us the opportunity to do.
To be honest - if we're going to do this we want to start from scratch.
From initial discussion the probability and consensus is that we wouldn't even use BuildANicheStore.com as the development domain name - it hasn't been about "niche stores" for a long time and it never will be again.
The models moved on and again this is something we aimed to illustrate and concrete in N1WAY,
The immediate question then is why not just use Wordpress - and the reality is from our own experience in site development we can see an all in one solution that serves a space and demand in the niche site arena - one that remains built for task but has much more depth and flexibility.
In partnership with the programmers it is this that we would be looking to build over the coming 6 months.
But all this means that active BANS users have to accept the logic and necessity for an end of the old update policy.
There is no room to breathe without that change.
Even if we were to use a different domain name we don't want to commit to this and then try to squeeze a new project out with a price tag under a technicality.
We're been completely up front about it now for this reason.
There's a whole host of other things we need to think through and work through with regards to how we structure and manage everything relating to this business moving forwards but the cross-roads we'd reached was whether or not we incorporate the niche site building model into our development plans moving forward.
Our connection and discussion with the programmers has opened up a way of us doing this that going in to the sale and all through this week we'd cancelled off.
With all this in mind the Flippa.com sales thread has been removed while we take a serious look at all this and get your feedback and as per part of the plans mentioned in that sales thread we'll be taking BANS and N1WAY offline on the coming monday for an entire week to enable us to clean the servers, properly align the projects, incorporate everything inside The Niche Site Building Network and move the BANS forum to NicheSiteBuilding.com.
We'll also be having our first face to face with the development team during that week.
With regards to moving the forum to NicheSiteBuilding.com the reason for doing this is to set it up and structure it differently to better reflect the reality of the model we're all involved in. There's a good chance that we'd also end up building a blog off that domain as a new communication channel to share ideas and concepts that we have and haven't found a way to distribute.
At this stage only BANS users and potentially N1WAY customers will be able to register to participate in it.
Once we're up and running again the plan is to set up a new section inside that forum where we'll be inviting you to share what features you would like and why and we'll be taking it from there.
We do appreciate that uncertainty breeds uncertainty and would like to state unequivocally now that providing we have your support re the update policy we will be digging in to this British winter and looking to really bring niche site building up a few levels during 2010.
The bottom line is that we're only 5 years into our internet marketing career and can't claim to be better at anything than we are. We've made mistakes and if we're going to operate in this market moving forward we need to start correcting and re-pairing them.

I must between this and the flippa listing they certainly have given me an insight into the otherside of the game.
Lis
Passive Income and Controversy!
lissie

Postby Brawnydt » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:15 am

Very enlightening actually. They sure are selling N1WAY hecka hard in that email... I'm even kind of curious what the heck it is now... dang those marketers.
Brawnydt

Postby pizerule » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:52 am

Believe me, Brawny ya aint missing anything. Resist.
pizerule

Return to General Business