Cloaking Affiliate Links

Discuss affiliate marketing strategies and products. If you want answers to your affiliate marketing questions, this is the place to post them and find them. NO ADS!

Moderators: magnetize, Oosha, ftello, shezz

Cloaking Affiliate Links

Postby DavidO » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:23 am

I was just about to cloak all my ebay partners network links. Then disallow the redirected directory in my robot.txt.

(Instead of the link being h**p://rover.ebay.com/rover/blahblah it would show up as h**p://mydomainname/goto/<link text> using the 'link cloaker' plug-in for wordpress. Then I add Disallow: /goto/ to my robots.txt effectivly cutting off My. spider from looking to see where the links go).

Does Google penalize for this? Is this a good idea?
Even If I don't end up doing this should I make all my rover links nofollow? Up till now they have not been and there are 50+ out going affiliate links on my main page :-o .

Thanks,
Dave
DavidO

Re: Cloaking Affiliate Links

Postby Coaster » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:44 am

For me, looking at it as a customer , anything that is cloaked I never click on at all. Just seems to dishonest to me , but then again most people probably don't look.
Laying on the beach in Queensland
Coaster

Postby ejcross » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:17 pm

Not sure how Google would see this, and especially eBay since they seem really anal right now with affilate links, cloaking, etc.

Might just want to leave it as be for now....
ejcross

Postby dgodot » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:34 pm

I don't bother with any kind of cloaking (no identifying info other than campign id anyway, and I use a different campaign for every site), but I have gone ahead and made all my affiliate links nofollow. No reason passing linkjuice along through affiliate links as far as I can see, and I can't imagine any kind of negative repercussions of having the nofollow in place for them.
dgodot

Postby DavidO » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:14 pm

I was just unsure on how Google would react to it. Since they already slapped me to 90+ (from #4) I'm just going to see what it does until they cache my page again. I also added nofollow because Ebay sure as hell doesn't need the page rank more than my page does!

I'll follow up with what it does. Though, with the rankings upset like they have been it'll be tough to know for sure.

I don't have any clicks for today, which is strange because I have not had a click free day in 2 months. I also have as many visitors today right now (noon) as I did all day yesterday. I wonder if this cloaking thing is interfering with tracking :-? .

Dave
DavidO

Return to Affiliate Marketing