Affiliate ID in links - is it possible to be replaced?

Discuss affiliate marketing strategies and products. If you want answers to your affiliate marketing questions, this is the place to post them and find them. NO ADS!

Moderators: magnetize, Oosha, ftello, shezz

Affiliate ID in links - is it possible to be replaced?

Postby Simo » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:16 am

I've got a Wordpress blog which has been making me on average 7-10 sales per day since three weeks ago. Two days ago, despite the fact that the traffic remained constant, almost all sales disappeared. I've checked the merchant's site and they are not out of stock. My blog sells Halloween costumes, so I would have expected the sales to increase as we approach the end of October.

I thought of possible reasons and I want to ask you if hijacking my affiliate ID can be a reason, especially that I've noticed that starting exactly two days ago, there are some scraper blogs which re-publish excerpts from all my Halloween posts (with link back to my blogs).

Another idea I had, was that my aff links are OK, but there are so many people that stuff cookies into buyers' computers, that although I'm credited the clicks (there are lots of clicks that appear in the aff network statistics), I'm not credited the sales because of this cookies thing.

Do you have any ideas on what may happen?
ZAGG Folio review | Creare site web | Free Wordpress Themes | Buy articles | Buy artificial Christmas trees this year and help saving our planet. Hurry up! Earth needs your help this Christmas.
Simo

Re: Affiliate ID in links - is it possible to be replaced?

Postby Tel » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:23 am

There is another possibility in that Halloween is now only 11 days away and people are maybe less inclined to buy online in case the goods aren't delivered in time.

There is and has been for 18 months or so a big problem with merchants cookies being blocked with anti-spyware software that people are running on their computers, in my opinion mostly unnecessarily. The scaremongers have gifted suppliers with the artificial "need" to sell new computers with anti-spyware pre-loaded.

So the problem is getting worse, not better for cookie based affiliate tracking and in all the time since this problem was first made very well known to all marketers initially with Clickbank, nothing has been done by anyone to counter it.
Tel
Site Admin

Re: Affiliate ID in links - is it possible to be replaced?

Postby Simo » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:37 am

Thank you, Terry. I had no idea that anti-spyware was blocking cookies. I'm curious how the sales are going to evolve over the next week. My intention is to publish a sort of case study describing the setup and the results for each site I had in this project.
ZAGG Folio review | Creare site web | Free Wordpress Themes | Buy articles | Buy artificial Christmas trees this year and help saving our planet. Hurry up! Earth needs your help this Christmas.
Simo

Return to Affiliate Marketing