Anybody else doing well on Bing and poorly on Google?

Here is the place to discuss the best and worst methods of promoting your online business. NO ADS!

Moderators: magnetize, Oosha, ftello, shezz

Anybody else doing well on Bing and poorly on Google?

Postby Jeff99 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:24 am

I have substantially more hits coming from Bing and find that I am ranking on page one of Bing for certain long tails. On Google, I am nowhere to be found for the same long tails!

Anybody else having a similar experience?
Jeff99

Re: Anybody else doing well on Bing and poorly on Google?

Postby James » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:44 am

Yup, that happens all the time. I think it's almost a rule. When you lose love from one Search Engine, another one becomes your mother :D

I love the amount of traffic from Google, but Bing has better CPC and CTR. If only these two things could go together :lol:
James

Postby Tel » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:23 am

Bing and Yahoo are merging, which means they will use the same engine although they will preserve their individual brands. This means that combined, they will have roughly 30% of worldwide search traffic against Google's 65%. This will make them more viable for search traffic and with the higher CTR of Bing, that will mean more money for sites you can't get to rank with Google.

Hint: Nofollow links are only nofollow as far as Google is concerned... ie they count for Bing and Yahoo.
Tel
Site Admin

Postby Scooter » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:54 am

For whatever reason it may, I seem to be having problems getting my sites indexed in Bing...
I utilize webmaster tools for site submission, etc., and while my sites do well on Yahoo and Google, Bing simply seems to be a little slower with indexing...

Any tips?

----------------------
@Terry:

Tel wrote:Hint: Nofollow links are only nofollow as far as Google is concerned... ie they count for Bing and Yahoo.

Where do you find this information?
Scooter

Postby Tel » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:29 pm

I don't remember, but its pretty common knowledge. As well as nofollow, site or page PR is also of no interest to Bing/Yahoo. Webmaster tools is also only good for Google.

To rank in Bing it takes links too... but you can get a lot of crappy ones (like comment links) fast and they will count them. I have done this with some free sites and taken them to No1 in Bing, although this is a short term tactic.

Unfortunately, that tactic may also get you penalized in Google! So if you already rank there, get links slowly and Bing will catch up with you eventually.

Good, strong in-post links work best for all S/Es in the long term and the more you have, the better you will rank ...in time.
Tel
Site Admin

Postby dgodot » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:42 pm

I once ranked a BANS site in the top three on MSN (pre-bing) for a very short tail keyword with nothing but a little targeted comment spam. Must've been nobody else with anchors for just the short tail :mrgreen:

Actually, I think that site is my only straight up BANS site that is still indexed in Google.
dgodot

Postby mikel » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:17 am

For the record: my last surviving BANS site just got de-indexed from Bing and Yahoo. Google de-indexed it years ago.
It had a good run from August 2009 with no maintenance :-)
mikel

Return to Promotion and Marketing