I'm Stuck :-(

Discuss webmaster issues, website development and resources. Ask questions about website building, coding, SEP/SEO etc here. NO ADS!

Moderators: magnetize, Oosha, ftello, shezz

I'm Stuck :-(

Postby Scooter » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:14 am

I feel really stupid to say this, but I'm stuck!
Today I bought a domain and hosting service through Go Daddy. (good? bad?) Anyhow, I am completely clueless as to how to create and set up my own web page... And this whole FTP things has me really frustrated too!
If ANYONE can point me in the right direction I would be sincerely grateful for the ability to get this thing up and running...

~Scooter
Scooter

Re: I'm Stuck :-(

Postby Tel » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:32 am

Scooter - the easiest way is to set up a wordpress blog if you're not up to speed on building sites. If you want to go the HTML route and are feeling creative, I wrote a series of articles that will help you do just that on the main site (articles page) on how to build a website from scratch.

I'm not in your time zone but if you'd waited a few hours, my PM would have got to you before you went with Godaddy. They are ok, but not the best by a long shot.

I have a big Hostgator banner at the top of this forum for a very good reason.
Tel
Site Admin

Postby Scooter » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:27 am

@Tel:
Okay, a wordpress blog... and I can utilize my domain name with it?
Yes, I saw the banner and was not certain if you actually endorsed them... I also reviewed several other hosting sites... I'm not real privy to any of this setting up your domain, host, etc., so I stuck to the same place I obtained the domain to keep things simple -- that's how I am I guess?
I will do some article reading, because sooner or later I'm going to have to learn html. I'd much rather spend my time building some blogs, but...

~Scooter
Scooter

Postby DavidO » Sun May 10, 2009 1:23 am

Honestly go with wordpress and use Tel's host gator banner. Just eat whatever hosting cost you spent at godaddy. It'll save your headaches and time (time = money) in the long run. I buy and maintain my domains through godaddy (I've heard namecheap is good too) and host at hostgator. Buy a baby plan which lets you run multiple domains through something called addon domains. All you need to do is change the nameservers of your domain (through your domain manager in your godaddy account to the name servers that your hosting plan on hostgator is on (there are 2 nameservers). You get this information when you sign up for hostgator.

One of the best things hostgator has going is the live chat system accessible through the homepage. There are always lots of techs and they are always very helpful. Ask them questions till you start understanding it.

After you have your nameservers set up you can install wordpress through fantastico which takes care of all the installation and set-up for you. The only time you have to futz around with FTP is for themes and plugins for your wordpress. If you get stuck you can always ask the techs at hostgator.

Wordpress has a lot going for it. Google loves it. There are TONS AND TONS of free plugins to make it do whatever you want. There are TONS of SEO guides, and it's super easy to use. No point in ever hand coding your sites IMO.

I used godaddy for hosting in the beginning and it's was a giant headache transferring my sites over when I realized it wasn't the best choice.

Hope this helps,
Dave
DavidO

Postby Simo » Sun May 10, 2009 6:00 am

I'm also a big fan of Hostgator. Their support is excellent and they answer all tickets very fast, within minutes. Indeed, it's better to make the switch now, when you don't have too many sites. When I moved from another hosting service to Hostgator, I had to move about 80 sites and it was really a pain, as I'm not organized and I lost some files and databases.
ZAGG Folio review | Creare site web | Free Wordpress Themes | Buy articles | Buy artificial Christmas trees this year and help saving our planet. Hurry up! Earth needs your help this Christmas.
Simo

Return to Web Development Resources