Am I being Hacked

Discuss webmaster issues, website development and resources. Ask questions about website building, coding, SEP/SEO etc here. NO ADS!

Moderators: magnetize, Oosha, ftello, shezz

Am I being Hacked

Postby Brawnydt » Sun May 03, 2009 3:13 pm

Am I being hacked? Google is doing some really really strange things on one of my sites...

Google last night
Google this morning

I don't think I've seen this before on any of my other sites. It's really weird.
Brawnydt

Re: Am I being Hacked

Postby korprit » Sun May 03, 2009 4:06 pm

not entirely sure what we are looking at. but i would check the logs for the source IP. look up the IP (a whois or dns query may not be enough as the spider could be under a different 'branch') and see if you can in some way tag it to Google. if not....would be suspect IMO. you temp ban it and see if you get any negative effects, if so then unban, if not, leave it blocked.
korprit

Postby Brawnydt » Sun May 03, 2009 5:37 pm

I'll check thanks. I thought the google bot was doing some rather weird things like going to pages that don't exist, trying to see profiles that don't exist, and running searches on my blog for random terms using my search box. Not normal crawling behavior in my experience.
Brawnydt

Postby Tel » Sun May 03, 2009 6:40 pm

If you've been hacked and Google sees it, the first you know about it is when they slap up a warning page over the top of your homepage. Not nice and I've had it happen to me on a few occasions and it has cost me money.

If you suspect a hacker has been messing with your site, open it in ftp and check file dates for anything that has been updated recently that you haven't done yourself. Or any strange looking files that shouldn't be there.

If its a WP blog, a common hack (and one I got a few times) is where they inject some hidden code into some of your posts that create links to bad neighbourhood sites or link to software that hijacks your aff links and banners to point to to their own shit. Not nice when they hit a blog with a couple hundred posts to sieve through one by one...

Another one I got recently on a number of my sites was a nice bunch of Moroccan terrorists hacking the WP login password, changing the admin username/password then putting up their own homepage over mine blessing Allah and death to the American and Israeli infidels etc etc yawn change the f***ing record!

That also cost me money for a day or two before I noticed it and luckily got rid before G saw it.
Tel
Site Admin

Postby Brawnydt » Sun May 03, 2009 7:21 pm

I suppose it's bound to happen to all of us sooner or later. Getting hacked in general, not being hacked by Islamic fundamentalists... :lol:

Thanks for the tips, I'll be checking for that right away.
Brawnydt

Return to Web Development Resources