Need Help with WP Blog

Discuss webmaster issues, website development and resources. Ask questions about website building, coding, SEP/SEO etc here. NO ADS!

Moderators: magnetize, Oosha, ftello, shezz

Need Help with WP Blog

Postby djnuttall » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:51 pm

My main MMO blog is giving me nothing but grief.

First off for some reason I could not get a new template to stick! no matter what I did it would always disappear. So I finally re-uploaded MYSQL and the Home Directory. Now the site is showing with the old template.

Now I am not able to access my wp-admin area. When I type in http://djnuttall-enterprises.com/wp-admin it goes to a white screen.

I have no idea how to correct this or what is causing it.

I am so close to taking this site down and replacing it with a static site. WP is giving me nothing but grief!!!!!!!
djnuttall

Re: Need Help with WP Blog

Postby Tel » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:51 am

I get this when a template isn't working, but if you get a white screen when you try to login, there could be a corrupt file in one of the wordpress folders. Its maddening because its almost impossible to know which file is causing the problem. Try downloading the latest version of WP, unzipping and then uploading the whole thing to the server, overwriting all the existing files. Also remove all template files, so when you login, you're site should default to the default theme.

If this doesn't work... I'd start thinking about a static site if I were you!

I'm already moving a lot of my WP sites to static unless they really, really need to have a blog on them.
Tel
Site Admin

Postby djnuttall » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:58 am

Thanks Terry!

I'll give it a go and then if I get nowhere.....static it is.
djnuttall

Postby dgodot » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:54 pm

I've had problems like this too and they are maddeningly difficult to troubleshoot. Usually I get it with WPMU installs that I've been messing around with. Hopefully you can backups? Maybe you can restore the database to a previous time?
dgodot

Postby Phillip » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:17 pm

Tel wrote:I get this when a template isn't working, but if you get a white screen when you try to login, there could be a corrupt file in one of the wordpress folders. Its maddening because its almost impossible to know which file is causing the problem. Try downloading the latest version of WP, unzipping and then uploading the whole thing to the server, overwriting all the existing files. Also remove all template files, so when you login, you're site should default to the default theme.

If this doesn't work... I'd start thinking about a static site if I were you!

I'm already moving a lot of my WP sites to static unless they really, really need to have a blog on them.

What are you using to create static sites? Dreamweaver? I like this idea quite a lot, but since I like the ease of adding content that you get with WP/blogs I have stuck with it.
Phillip

Postby Tel » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:41 am

I tried dreamweaver many moons ago, but wasn't happy with the way it created the code. So I spent some time and built my own basic templates from scratch (stealing good bits of CSS from other templates). Now whenever I build a new site I simply use one of my own templates and modify it to make it unique for the site.

I know that would put plenty of people off as working with basic html is often thought of as fiddly and a lot of work, but I have made my templates so simple that each page contains very little html formatting. All that is done in the style sheet.

So my main pages that contain text/images/links contain only a few div containers and use php "includes" to pull in common code like header/footer/sidebar/site navigation info from external files leaving the actual page uncluttered and simple to type up.

I use PSPad as my editor as its become pretty powerful. I create a separate folder for each website and then work with that set of files on my PC, uploading to the server and overwriting live files via ftp as I modify them, so I can see the results of any changes in my browser (FF and IE) as I go.

It totally flies in the face of all I was taught in my early days of IT - like never amend live files, always test first before implementing, always have a backout and all that crap. Well, to hell with the rules, I'm a rebel!! :lol:

Its more more work than the simplicity of WP, for sure. But once its up, it stays up and no worrying about upgrading WP versions, plugins, moderating comments, replying to comments (!!) and less openings for hackers to inject their malware.
Tel
Site Admin

Postby djnuttall » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:15 pm

I'm a slacker and techno dumb! I bought XsitePro when it first came out and use that. I could never build a site like you, Terry, from scratch. :shock:
djnuttall

Postby Phillip » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:00 pm

mm.. This sounds like copy+paste on a simple wordpress template - then stripping away all the clutter. Html is not that hard and when you get used to it it does not even take so much trial and error. I'll have to give this some thought - building sniper sites on pure html would be great since there is no wordpress installation + plugin installation involved.
Phillip

Postby djnuttall » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:51 am

WOOHOO!

I finally got my site back. I un-installed the whole site and uploaded a backup that I had stored on my hard drive. Now I am afraid to upgrade anything on the backend. Might screw it up again! :-(
djnuttall

Return to Web Development Resources