Got a page listed on search engine, now want to rename it

Discuss webmaster issues, website development and resources. Ask questions about website building, coding, SEP/SEO etc here. NO ADS!

Moderators: magnetize, Oosha, ftello, shezz

Got a page listed on search engine, now want to rename it

Postby ram2009 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:24 pm

Hi Guys

I have a page that is on the search engine ranks. it ends in .html - i have recently changed the site to a wordpress blog . That page is listed as PR2 so I want to port it to the wordpress blog pages - however in wordpress there is no .html extention so any ideas on how to transfer the page ranking to the new page i want to create.

Hope this made sence :)

Thanks as ever
Ram
ram2009

Re: Got a page listed on search engine, now want to rename it

Postby dgodot » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:15 pm

There are some wordpress plugins that add .html onto the end of each post URL.

Alternately you could 301 it with the Redirection plugin. I'd probably go with the first option and try to reproduce the existing structure of the site.
dgodot

Postby Phillip » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:11 am

you can use custom permalinks to get the html in there. like this for blogger for example:

/%year%/%monthnum%/%postname%.html

although you'll most likely have to go through the permalinks manuall after that still to make sure the "%postname%" is correct.
Phillip

Postby Tel » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:14 pm

...or you could do it the hard way like I love to do and that's to simply upload the .html page you want to preserve to your server via ftp and add a link to the page in the sidebar of your WP blog in a text widget.

Now, if you want it to look like other pages on the WP blog, make sure that in the <head> section you link to the css file in your WP theme install (wp-content/themes/yourtheme/style.css) and that the page layout HTML conforms to the WP wp-content/themes/yourtheme/index.php file. You might have to tweak it a little to get it right.

If its only to preserve the PR and ranking and you don't care what the page looks like, leave it as is and it will display in your browser as a basic html page which you can tweak any way you want.

Either way, you will have to upload the file from your PC to the server where the WP install lives.

So of the original address of your page was:

yoursite.com/page.html

then upload the page to the root directory (public_html) and it will have the url of: yoursite.com/page.html

or if it had a subpage address of:

yoursite.com/subfolder/page.html

then merely create a subfolder in the root directory with the same name and upload the file to that folder, which will give it a url of: yoursite.com/subfolder/page.html

That way you don't have to mess about with plugins or redirects... :mrgreen:
Tel
Site Admin

Postby Scooter » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:41 pm

I too changed one of my sites to a WP theme.(From Website Tonight - free through GoDaddy)
I searched the web and came across a permalink migration plugin for WP as dgodot noted:
dgodot wrote:There are some wordpress plugins that add .html onto the end of each post URL.

Here's the link that I found: (h t t p ://www.deanlee.cn/wordpress/permalinks-migration-plugin/) It's relatively easy to configure and you should not loose your indexing position. However, be sure to install the plugin BEFORE you make the transfer, otherwise you may be left with doing it the hard way like Terry explains.
Scooter

Postby TrentBrownrigg » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:19 pm

Ask Justin DeMerchant if he doesn't see this and reply. I know he knows how to do it because he did it recently on a blog that we co-own. It was a static site with all .html but we converted it into a WP blog and kept the .html extension somehow. He did it but I am not sure how.
* No links here... Search my name if you want to find me!
TrentBrownrigg

Return to Web Development Resources