Site Speed Questions

Discuss webmaster issues, website development and resources. Ask questions about website building, coding, SEP/SEO etc here. NO ADS!

Moderators: magnetize, Oosha, ftello, shezz

Site Speed Questions

Postby WordPlay » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:26 pm

I would appreciate some guidance about how to reduce file sizes for images already uploaded on my blog. The URLs can't change, so I need a solution that can be implemented at the code level and will affect all my images.

Also, how do I reduce DNS lookups for diverse URLs I have no control over? For example, the YSlow Firefox plugin (which doles out some dandy info, BTW) is reporting that Statcounter, Google Analytics, Kontera, s.bit.ly are "split over more than 4 domains" so the DNS lookups should be reduced. How is that done? I've tried implementing several changes through .htaccess, but so far that has only succeeded in tanking the blog.

All of the info I've read is so technical that my eyes are spinning in their sockets. :roll: If someone would explain what I need to do in plain English, I would really appreciate it!
WordPlay

Re: Site Speed Questions

Postby Tel » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:30 pm

Image sizes can't change server side as far as I know - but you can edit the originals in photoshop/fireworks and upload to the original urls overwriting them with the smaller sized versions.

On the other note, as soon as anyone starts talking about DNS settings, my eyes glaze over and I want to go to sleep... :lol:
Tel
Site Admin

Re: Site Speed Questions

Postby WordPlay » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:38 pm

Tel wrote:Image sizes can't change server side as far as I know - but you can edit the originals in photoshop/fireworks and upload to the original urls overwriting them with the smaller sized versions.

Oh good, there are only about 200 of them. ::sigh:: YSlow actually displays a list of images and gives links to optimized versions, which is quite handy. But the file name is changed. So each has to be renamed and uploaded separately. I'd rather take the f-ing site down!

I thought I found some some server-side options online but they were just too technical for me to understand what the hell they were talking about. But maybe I misunderstood their purpose.

Tel wrote:On the other note, as soon as anyone starts talking about DNS settings, my eyes glaze over and I want to go to sleep... :lol:

Ha! They make me want to cry. :cry:
WordPlay

Return to Web Development Resources