EPN Warnings

Discuss affiliate marketing strategies and products. If you want answers to your affiliate marketing questions, this is the place to post them and find them. NO ADS!

Moderators: magnetize, Oosha, ftello, shezz

EPN Warnings

Postby MasterOfNone » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:43 pm

So, I just got a warning from EPN stating that they had review my account, and that one of my domains was in violation of the trademark rule (company name in URL). They gave me three days to take it down. I've removed that domain, as well as several others that would also be considered an infringement by those standards, though they didn't give me any warning about them. Makes me a bit sad since several of them were real money makers. I am still in the the process of removing my ebay ID from some eBay blogs on our free hosts, as well. By the time this is all done, I should be in compliance.

Has anyone else had a review like this? Did everything turn out OK once you implemented the suggestions given? I make a lot of money off EPN, so keeping my account is kind of a priority.
MasterOfNone

Re: EPN Warnings

Postby DavidO » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:03 pm

Well that's interesting they are enforcing it. I didn't think they would. I just lost a serious money earner last week from a deindex, but it also had trademark issues. Trouble is now I can't use it for links for a new site that won't be in violation. I'm really curious what they are going to think of the ND sites. So long as you do what the email said I don't think there should be an issue. At least it was a warning!
DavidO

Postby bgmacaw » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:32 pm

I pulled EPN from my trademark domains as well as all my EPN Blogger blogs on the 31st. I switched them over to Chitika and it's doing alright for now.
bgmacaw

Postby jacksparrow » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:46 am

Got one as well and removed those which I thought would be in violation although some were gray. Sent them a query and they replied with... empty space. Typical EPN.
jacksparrow

Postby Tel » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:17 am

I have a self hosted site that sell back-issues of a long defunct comic book series on ebay with the brand in the domain name. Maybe that'll get away with it as the company or its trademark no longer exists.

I spent hours going through a ton of bloggers, squidoo, hub pages and other free resources taking down eBay ads and RSS feeds. What a damn pain the arse. Time that could have been better spent building money making sites, not losing them.

A large slice of my eBay revenue is gone with those sites to the tune of a few hundred dollars a month, which I'm totally unhappy about, as you can imagine.

I'll have to replace that monetization with affiliate ads, amazon and other stuff but its another chunk of valuable time I'll have to commit to doing it and it won't be anywhere near as lucrative as eBay was.

Bloody arseholes! :twisted:
Tel
Site Admin

Postby Brawnydt » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:12 pm

Ah crap, I certainly hope I slide through with one of my sites. DaveO, that really sucks and I'm sorry to hear that about your site! My biggest earner might be considered a trademark... :cry:

Ok, well in preparation for this to happen to me, I've finally figured out how to 301 redirect my entire site to a new domain that isn't trademarked. There's a great and simple guide here: http://www.seoblogr.com/social/how-to-move-wordpress-blog-from-old-domain-to-new-domain-with-301-permanent-redirection/

301 redirect passes *most* of the link juice and authority on to the new site. It does loose some, and it will mean lost revenue, but at least it's not a complete start over from the beginning for those that get hit by this. Hopefully this fixes the issue with eBay as the ads won't be on a trademarked domain anymore.
Brawnydt

Postby lissie » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:47 pm

Tel wrote:I spent hours going through a ton of bloggers, squidoo, hub pages and other free resources taking down eBay ads and RSS feeds. What a damn pain the arse. Time that could have been better spent building money making sites, not losing them.

Hmm I believe that hubpages is OK with ebay http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/18361 now

And i think squidoo is OK too - someone left a link on blog in the comments -not for youre direct aff link though - just if you use their ebay capsule.
Lis
Passive Income and Controversy!
lissie

Postby Brawnydt » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:27 pm

Yea the official word is EPN is fine on Hub Pages if you already had an EPN account and were using it previously. You can continue to use EPN on your hubs, and even build more. They may not be allowing that to continue in the future though.
Brawnydt

Postby Tel » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:28 pm

Interesting. I was getting some ebay revenue from Hubs so that's good news.

It was my blogger blogs that were making most of the dosh, and I bet EPN are not going to backtrack and allow them back in!

On a lighter note, Squidoo can go f**k themselves as they have locked several of my lenses that are totally legit.
Tel
Site Admin

Postby DavidO » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:57 pm

Look like you have to validate at least one site. In the EPN dashboard it says you have to validate EACH site you are driving traffic with.

If this is true and they enforce it I'm not sure how that will play into niche devil or old BANS sites.

h**p://buildanichestoreblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/confirming-domain-names-with-epn.html
DavidO

Postby bgmacaw » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:15 am

DavidO wrote:Look like you have to validate at least one site. In the EPN dashboard it says you have to validate EACH site you are driving traffic with.

If this is true and they enforce it I'm not sure how that will play into niche devil or old BANS sites.

h**p://buildanichestoreblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/confirming-domain-names-with-epn.html

from EPN

Although existing publishers are not required to validate their domains, doing so is a good idea, as it will help us know which domains you are sending traffic from and serve as additional information helpful in conversations with customer service or confirming your identity if your account has been compromised, etc.
bgmacaw

Postby DavidO » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:57 am

Doh! And you can't unconfirm them either. Oh well. Thanks for that clarification.
Last edited by DavidO on Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
DavidO

Return to Affiliate Marketing